Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ricky Martin Felt 'Numb' and Cried 'Like a Baby' After Coming Out

After having children, Ricky Martin decided he couldn't live a lie any longer and decided to tell the world his biggest secret--he is gay. And in an interview with Oprah Winfrey airing today on her show, he confessed it wasn't easy.

"When I realized, okay, I just pressed send, whoo... I was alone," the international singer said to the talk show host. "I was in my studio alone for a minute. My assistant walked in and I just started crying like a little baby. I started crying." Martin admits he felt "numb" but then relieved after sharing the news with the world.

Martin credits his 2-year-old twins born via surrogate with helping him realize he needed to be totally open about his sexuality.

"I couldn't take it anymore. It was too painful. But I guess the most important thing is my children... When I was holding them in my arms I was like, 'What, am I gonna teach them how to lie?' Whoa, that is my blessing right there. Then, when I was holding my children I said, 'Okay, it's time to tell the world.'"

The 'Livin' La Vida Loca' singer is releasing his memoir 'Me' today. In it, Martin opens up about everything from his experiences in Menudo to his sexuality and fatherhood.

"From the moment I wrote the first phrase, I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And this is something worth celebrating," he said.

No comments: