Friday, November 5, 2010

Portia de Rossi Says Ellen DeGeneres Changed Her Life

Portia de Rossi has admitted to suffering from an eating disorder in the past, but she put all that behind her when she married talk show host Ellen DeGeneres in August 2008.

She said: "Ellen has completely changed the way I look at life. She has made me not worry about what other people think. I'm still working on that, I have to be honest.

“She has taught me that who I am is perfectly good enough...that I don't have to pretend to be anything other than who I am, and that's been the most incredible gift that she's given me."

The former Arrested Development star added that her relationship with the talk show host helped her overcome her anorexia.

She told Ellen on her talk show: "When I look in the mirror today I really do accept myself from head to toe. This is exactly the weight I'm supposed to be. I realized it's taking me a long time -- you can't fit a size eight foot into a size six shoe."

Portia has recently released her autobiography Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain, and she said she hoped it would help other people who are suffering too.

She explained: "I don't think anyone can really understand what it's like to suffer from an eating disorder unless they've actually gone through it themselves.

“I wanted to tell the story from the perspective of the person suffering and not from the healthy person's perspective. I wanted to go back to that dark horrible time and explain why I thought I was doing the right thing, why I thought I was doing the healthy thing and making good choices for my life."

No comments: