Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Happy 50th Birthday to RuPaul!

The world’s most famous drag queen, RuPaul, reaches the half-century mark today!

The host of RuPaul’s Drag Race is an actor, drag queen, author and model who first gained fame in the early 90s after years as a fixture on the clubs scenes in New York and Atlanta.

RuPaul spoke earlier this year with Fancast.com about the secret to his success:

“For the first 10 years of my career, I could have been arrested but I was doing it anyway,” he said. “No one has come close to what I have done. I really am surprised. I think honestly I was very lucky, I think it’s my work ethic. I love to stay busy and work, I love the creativity of it even when I wasn’t making a damned dime. But it’s harder when you don’t have competition. Once you get successful, once you hit your mark and find yourself, there’s the act of maintaining it. Given a male dominated society where you behave in a feminine manner or take on femininity you will be up against a lot of people’s negative conditioning.”

You better work!

No comments: