Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cher Still Calls Chaz 'Her' by Mistake

Cher is having a pronoun problem when it comes to her daughter-turned-son Chaz Bono.

"She's a very smart girl – boy!" the singer tells Vanity Fair in its December issue. "This is where I get into trouble. … I still don't remember to call her 'him.' "

Chaz, 41 – born Chastity Bono – underwent gender reassignment last year, a process he said made him "a happy guy." But Cher admits she still can't quite wrap her mind around the idea of suddenly becoming a man.

"If I woke up tomorrow in a guy's body, I would just kick and scream and cry and [expletive] rob a bank, because I cannot see myself as anything but who I am – a girl," she says. "I would not take it as well as Chaz has. I couldn't imagine it."

In the interview, Cher, 64, also touches on her inadequacies as a parent, and whether her kids – she has another son, Elijah, now 34, with ex-husband Gregg Allman – are still angry with her.

"I think Chaz is pretty much finished with it, and I think Elijah has a little longer to go, but they both really love me a lot. But it's hard," she says.

"One time, when Chaz was little, we were on a field trip, and she said, 'I'm so pissed off, Mom. You can never not be Cher – we can never just do something.' So your kids pay. I did the best I could do, and yet it was definitely lacking."

No comments: