Thursday, November 4, 2010

Oprah Winfrey's Interview with Ricky Martin

Here is Oprah’s interview with Ricky Martin which aired Tuesday, the same day his memoir 'Me' was released.

It’s such a contrast to the Barbara Walters interview of a decade ago when she asked Ricky if he was gay and he did not answer. Walters has since expressed her regret over asking the question but Ricky is a different man today as you can see in these videos.

He tels Oprah of Walters: “She knocked me out… I had my little monologue prepared – what I was used to answering: ‘No, I don’t think it’s something that I want to talk about; this is something private… I show everything when I’m onstage…’. But she kept on going and going and going. I just wasn’t ready… It was not my moment.”

“People were mocking my sexuality and I was, like, ‘I don’t wanna be that. Is that me…?’ I think I hate myself…” he added.

But he holds no grudge against the veteran newswoman even though he was initially angry: “I felt invaded, I felt violated in many ways… but it was not the first time I was asked this question in an interview, but it was a massive TV show… That gave the right for every journalist to ask.”

Ricky also talks about recent string of young gay suicides and says they make it evident that gays must be allowed to come out only when they are ready: “Right now we are dealing with people that are being bullied because they are gay and now we’re dealing with people who are committing suicide because they’re forced to come out and that is horrible… You have to go through a very spiritual process in order for you to accept yourself and then it feels amazing.”

Well said Ricky and good for you.














No comments: