Tuesday, June 22, 2010

James Franco: "If Somebody Says I'm Gay, I Guess They Would Be Wrong"

James Franco famously played a gay man in the film Milk, made out with a couple of guys in a Saturday Night Live sketch and was seen at LA Gay Pride but I believe that if the man were gay, he would just say so.

And yet, there remains speculation about this handsome actor who definitely marches to his own drummer and he’s not afraid of gay roles.

In a profile in The Independent, Franco discusses the number of gay characters he’s portrayed or put on screen and says that, “the worst downside, and I don’t consider this a downside, the worst thing that anybody could say is that I was gay and if somebody said that I guess they would be wrong, but I also wouldn’t care and as far as being typecast, that’s not the case, nonetheless I would be happy to play 100 gay roles as long as they were always good parts.” The article states that James has been dating actress Anha O’Reilly for several years.

His latest short film, The Clerk’s Tale, based on Spencer Reece’s poem, premiered at Cannes. It’s a psychological portrait of a gay man trapped in a monotonous job at a high-end male store. He also stars as poet Allen Ginsberg in Howl which is opening night film at next month’s Outfest.

No comments: