Monday, June 7, 2010

Belinda Carlisle Talks to The Advocate About Her Gay Son, Marriage Equality & More

Belinda Carlisle has just published her autobiography Lips Unsealed and it is filled with juicy stories about her years as lead singer of the Go-Gos and her addiction to cocaine.

She talked to Jeremy Kinser of The Advocate about that and more in a provocative new interview. Here is an excerpt:

ADVOCATE: You discuss your own experimenting by making out with fellow punk Alice Bag. What do you remember about that experience?
CARLISLE: I remember that we were on a bus bench on Vine Street in Hollywood, but back then everyone made out with each other. It was a genderless thing that you did and didn’t think twice about it. It was cool to be bisexual. There’s not a lot that I remember about it, but I’m sure Alice remembers it.

ADV: Were the Go-Gos ever pursued by lesbian groupies?
BC: The girls were much more aggressive than the boys. [Laughs] The boys were always intimidated by us so we never really had any male groupies. I can’t remember any one instance, but we’ve always had gay fans and groupies. Speaking only for myself, I’ve never had sex with groupies – male or female – because that was a scary thing. It wasn’t about sex with us. It was about having a good time and having a party.

ADV: Last year you filmed a public service announcement for marriage equality. Why is this subject so important to you?
BC: My son is gay and I want the best for him. I don’t understand why gay marriage is such a divisive issue in the first place. My son has political leanings and he’s outspoken about it and he got me riled up so we filmed the video in our backyard. I’ve always been really opinionated and I think at this point in my life I don’t have a lot to lose by saying what I feel.

These are things I believe in.

ADV: Speaking of your son, James Duke, he came out as gay when he was only 15. In your book you mention being shocked and having no idea he was gay. I found this really surprising since you’re so savvy and have been around gay people throughout your career.
BC: Well, I had little hints along the way that maybe he could be gay. Most of my friends are gay and lesbian, but when it’s your own kid it’s different, regardless of how open-minded you are. It took me by surprise. It was shocking and it wasn’t shocking. The first thing I thought about was how difficult it could be for him. The world can be harsh. Once I got over it I had to think about how to tell my husband. My husband is also very open-minded, but for a lot of men it’s a reflection on their own masculinity. It was a big, intense process. It took six months to a year for the dynamics in our family to adjust, but I wouldn’t want him any other way, honestly.

Click on this
link for the Advocate's complete interview with Belinda Carlisle.

No comments: