Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jon Hamm and James Franco Speak Out for Marriage Equality

At a press conference for the Allen Ginsberg biopic Howl at Sundance, E!'s Ted Casablanca and Taryn Rider asked actors Jon Hamm and James Franco about the trial in that film in relation to the courtroom proceedings playing out in California against Proposition 8.

Said Hamm: "There's a line in the movie [that says] 'I think that publicity engendered by this trial is going to bring this poem to a much wider audience than it ever would have had.' I think that argument can certainly be made for the Prop 8 situation, where publicity engendered by all this brings to light the absurdity of ascribing second-class status to an entire group of people. The more people that see that...I just think in a lot of ways the publicity and press surrounding these issues will only serve to help."

Said Franco: "Like I said before when Milk was coming out, I hope we'll get to a time soon where we'll look back and say, 'I can't believe that we were discriminating against this whole group of people and saying, 'You don't have the same rights as everybody else.'' I hope that the time comes very, very soon, when we can all look back and say that was ridiculous."

No comments: