Saturday, January 30, 2010

Joe "Proud" to Have Michael's Kids at the Grammys

As the Grammy Awards prepare to honor the late King of Pop with a Lifetime Achievement Award, Joe Jackson says he is proud to have his grandchildren accept the award on his son's behalf.

According to reports, Michael Jackson's two eldest children, Paris, 11, and Prince Michael, 12, are scheduled to take the stage at Saturday's Special Merit Awards ceremony at L.A.'s Wilshire Ebell Theater.

"I am very proud that my son, Michael Jackson, is a recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year's Grammy," Joe Jackson said in a statement Saturday. "However, there [have] been some recent rumors that I am displeased with the idea that Michael's children are accepting the award on my son's behalf. On the contrary, I am very proud of my grandchildren. Katherine and I are the ones that [have] initiated their participation."

But it remains unclear whether the children will make an appearance, as other reports claim, onstage for the Grammy telecast on Sunday.

The tribute planned for the telecast includes a 3-D film clip the pop sensation made before his death in June and performances by Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Celine Dion and Smokey Robinson.

"I thank the Recording Academy for their honor and know that Michael would have been very pleased to receive such recognition," Joe Jackson continued. "I am very proud of my family and I will continue to seek justice for my son."

Watch the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards tommorrow (Sunday, January 31st) at 8:00 pm (ET), live on CBS.

No comments: