Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Madonna Dishes On Designing With Daughter Lourdes

So what was it like for Madonna to work together with her daughter Lourdes Leon (a.k.a. Lola) on Material Girl, their upcoming juniors’ clothing collection? Surprisingly collaborative.

“As we are working, I see her more as a creative person, as an artist,” the proud mom told the Associated Press. “Then every once in a while, I remembered that she is my daughter.”

The pop icon also revealed that the collection–which is debuting exclusively at Macy’s in August, just in time for back-to-school wardrobes–was actually the 13-year-old’s idea.

“Lola has been bothering me for ages about designing clothes,” explained the original Material Girl. And Lourdes already has good taste, as Madonna laments, “My Christian Dior shoes will go missing, and then some fabulous bag or my skinny jeans–the only pair that fit me–are gone.”

But having grown-up around fashion’s brightest stars, including Madonna pals Stella McCartney and Dolce and Gabbana, Lourdes has shown an ever-growing interest in fashion design, working in the wardrobe department on Madonna’s last two tours.

All the teenager’s aesthetic training has led to the line’s eclectic mix of patterns (cabbage roses, black and white stripes) and layerable “hard and soft elements,” like a tutu dress meant to be styled with studded combat boots or a slouchy cropped sweatshirt paired with a floral mini. And don’t forget the accessories — shoes, necklaces, and, naturally, fingerless gloves–all inspired by their mutual love of dance and music.

Happily, though, these pieces will be attainable on a teenager’s allowance, with prices ranging from $12 to $40.

As Madonna points out, “When I was 13-years-old, I couldn’t afford expensive clothing.”

No comments: