Thursday, November 26, 2009

Is Adam Lambert a 'Role Model' or 'Nightmare'?

Adam Lambert knows that, as a performer with an over-the-top stage act, audiences are going to love him or hate him – and he's fine with either.

"I could be somebody's role model, but on the flip side I could be somebody's worst nightmare at the same time," the singer, 27, tells Popeater. "You never know how you're going to affect people, being in this position."

Right now, the "nightmare" tag seems to be predominant among many, since his overtly sexual show at the American Music Awards on Sunday infamously caused ABC to cancel Lambert's morning-show performance a couple days later.

"If you are in the public eye and you are a certain type of persona, you're putting certain ideas out there you're bound to have people look up to them," he says. "You're also bound to have people who completely reject them and hate you for it."

But despite the negative feelings some people have about him, Lambert says the positive things he can do outweigh all that.

"The role model thing is interesting, it's kind of like a catch 22," he says. "Part of me is like, 'That's flattering.' And if I'm helping people find truth in their lives or lead lives [that] are more open themselves, if they feel that they also want to be comfortable in their skin, then that's great. If I can inspire that, I'm thrilled."

CBS nabbed Lambert to sit down and perform on Wednesday's The Early Show as well as the Late Show With David Letterman. During the morning interview, he admitted the one thing he would do differently is "sing better," and that the questionable actions were not rehearsed but impromptu.

"When I got up on stage, I don't think about things like, 'this is network television, what time is it, what children were watching?' I just was in the moment," he said. "I did get carried away, but I don't see anything wrong with it."


Watch CBS News Videos Online

No comments: