Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Paula Abdul Talks About ‘Possibly Moving On’ from American Idol

Is Paula Abdul leaving American Idol?

In a new interview with Nightline host Cynthia McFadden set to air Thursday (11:35 p.m. ET, on ABC), the Idol judge explains, “This is my last season under contract,” but plays it cagey when asked directly if she will sign on for another season.

“I love the show, I do,” Abdul says. “I love what I do on the show and I’m loving it more this season than ever. It’s taken me a while to get comfortable in my own skin with the show.”

Some have speculated that new judge Kara DioGuardi was hired to be Abdul’s replacement. But according to Abdul, that’s not the case.

“I don’t think anyone [can replace me],” she says. “First of all, Kara says ‘I could never replace you.’ And I said whenever there is change it’s not about replacing anybody; it’s about possibly moving on.”
Plus, the two women on the judges’ panel are friends.

“I actually think that Simon [Cowell] got mad that we are friends and that I actually knew her and that her humble beginning began sleeping in my guest bedroom and I just believed in her,” Abdul says in the interview.

Known to butt heads with Cowell over the years, Abdul reveals that his harsh criticism of the contestants has impacted her role on the show. “The first day I went to work on season 1, I quit seven times,” she says, adding, “I couldn’t believe that that someone was actually getting away with crushing fragile kids.”

“I couldn’t take the pain that I saw,” she says. “And I think being an artist who has had success, it’s very vulnerable when you are the talent. And when someone attacks you with criticism that isn’t constructive, sometimes it’s hard to take.”

No comments: