Monday, August 30, 2010

George Clooney Accepts Humanitarian Award

George Clooney brought a lighthearted touch while accepting a special Emmy Award for a rather serious subject.

"I have offered to go to the south of Sudan and stage, like, a wardrobe malfunction," Clooney cracked, while accepting the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award at Sunday's telecast. "But it was pointed out to me that I'm 49, and the consensus was that it would just be upsetting. And kind of sad."

The actor, who was recognized for most recently organizing a telethon for victims of the Haitian earthquake, has also been active in raising awareness about genocide in Darfur.

After receiving a standing ovation as he walked on stage, Clooney joked that everybody should be seated. "Don't do that because then I feel like maybe I'm sick and I don't know it," he said.

Backstage, however, Clooney didn't mind the attention – and joked that reporters call him "Mr. Clooney." He also told reporters that his highlight of the night was hanging out backstage with lead actor in a miniseries or movie winner Al Pacino and Tom Selleck.

He also confirmed that his date for the night was girlfriend Elisabetta Canalis. "She picked me up from Italy," he cracked.

No comments: