Sunday, May 23, 2010

American Idol's Casey James Says Third Place is All Right with Him

On Wednesday night’s American Idol results show, Casey James, the 27-year-old construction worker from Cool, Texas, left the competition in third place. For James, that was as good as winning. He spoke to People Magazine about being at peace, his future album and what he puts in his hair.

You said you couldn’t picture yourself winning but when it got down to it Wednesday night, was it still bittersweet to leave?
Not at all. Not at all. It was not bittersweet whatsoever. It was amazingly as sweet as it could be.

What did like most about being in the final three with Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox?
They are both very special people and there’s a lot to be said about both of them. They are good people and they’ve got good things coming their way. I do know there is quite a bit of music we all share, which is funny because we are from such different trains of thought and from different places in the world. So that was neat to find out. Lee has a good appreciation of old-school stuff. Obviously, he did “Simple Man,” and I’ve sang that song about a zillion times, being a guy that plays bars for a living for the past 11 years. But we all like anything old.

Were you surprised by the turnout you had during all the stops along your hometown visit?
Somewhere in the back of your mind, you know you are getting votes from someone and so just to meet those people and see them and for them to show that kind of support is amazing and overwhelming.

Was it strange that the judges pegged your audience as “women and girls?”
Oh! I don’t know. I really have no idea. How would they know who was voting for me or not? Maybe that’s wishful thinking or maybe it’s not — maybe they know exactly who was voting for me! But I can tell you that whoever was voting for me, I am appreciative.

So have you started using any new hair products?
Ha! It just depends on the day whether I do anything to it or not. Sometimes I try to make it a little more curly, in which case I just put some more gel into it but it’s stuff that I bought from Walmart. I don’t really pay that much attention to that stuff, to be honest!

Can you believe where you were a year ago and where you are now?
I’ve been up and down in my life a lot, and it’s really cool to look at where you were a short amount of time ago and go, wow, that’s where I was. In one way, it’s amazing and unbelievable and in another way, it’s like, you can believe it because it’s just part of your journey in life. It’s more amazing looking at what’s going on in my life now. A year ago, it was a normal life and I was happy, playing music and loving life and doing what I wanted to do, but now, I’m doing it on an even bigger level. And I’m going to get a chance to do hopefully my own record and my own music.

What will your first album be like?
I would like it to be a good mixture of a lot of the stuff that I love and we’ll see what that ends up being in the end. I love country and blues, and rock, and soul, and folk. It just needs to be a good mix. I don’t want to go straight, hardliner one way or another.

Your brother Billy is musical as well. Do you think your careers will line up together?
I certainly do. They will line up at some point, I guarantee you.

No comments: