Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hugh Jackman's Son Calls Him a 'Showoff'

He may have won an Emmy for hosting the Tony Awards, but Hugh Jackman says his son, Oscar, sees him in a different light.

"My son just thinks I'm a showoff, basically," Jackman said at the opening ceremony of Climate Week in Manhattan.

And humility isn't all that the 9-year-old is educating the Wolverine star about: He's also the enforcer of an eco-friendly lifestyle in the Jackman household.

"[He doesn't] sit back and go, 'Oh whatever Dad says, I'll turn off the light.' He demands it!" said Jackson.

On his day off from rehearsals for A Steady Rain, his upcoming Broadway play with Daniel Craig, the reigning Sexiest Man Alive spoke about the importance of having world leaders come together to fight global warming at an event that also included former U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair and United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

"Something happened to me just under 12 months ago that really, everyone can say kind of put things in perspective, and that was being named the Sexiest Man Alive," Jackson joked to the crowd as he began his speech. The star then turned serious and spoke of his experience meeting a coffee farmer named Du Cali on a recent trip to Ethiopia and how it influenced his outlook.

"I will never, ever, ever drink a cup of non-fair-trade coffee," Jackman said after his speech. "Every time I see that coffee, no matter how much I want it, I know that that's hurting Du Cali, and I worked with him for three hours shoveling manure."

No comments: