Friday, September 25, 2009

Bullfighter to Advertise Gay Drink on Cape

A Spanish matador has agreed to advertise a drink aimed at gay men in the ring.

Joselito Ortega (no relations to moi), who is not well-known, will have the name of the energy drink "Gay Up" embroidered on his cape.

Bullfighting is traditionally an extremely macho sport but more controversial is the fact that Ortega will be advertising in the ring.

Although famous matadors can make as much money as football stars through promotions and advertising deals, it is almost unheard of for them to advertise while in the arena.

Despite Ortega's little-known status, the idea of him using his cape as commercial space is likely to cause anger.

Speaking to Associated Press, Ortega said: "I am a bullfighter. That is not going to change. I am going to go out into the ring as I have done until now, to risk my life, and the seven goring wounds on my body prove that. If the gay community welcomes me as an image or a symbol, that is fine."

"Gay Up" was initially a drink made from strawberries and made in South America. Its formula was changed to an energy drink when launched in Spain.

No comments: