Friday, May 29, 2009

Lady Gaga on Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll

Flamboyant pop diva Lady Gaga says she is bisexual and opens up about her cocaine days on the Lower East Side of New York in a new cover story in Rolling Stone.

The 23-year-old singer-songwriter and budding fashion icon, who fronts the magazine's new Hot List, claims she is "changing what people think is sexy" in the entertainment world. "I don't feel like I look like the other perfect little pop singers," she says.

Likewise, her love life is unconventional, and she admits her attraction to women tends to make boyfriends "uncomfortable."

Gaga also looks back at her "sick" pre-fame days after she dropped out of NYU, when she would order bags of cocaine and obsessively perfect her hair and makeup in a tiny N.Y.C. apartment. She has since channeled that compulsive nature into her work. "The truth is, the psychotic woman that I truly am comes out when I'm not working," she says. "When I'm not working, I go crazy."

She isn't shy about her lofty ambitions for that work. "My true legacy will be the test of time," she says, "and whether I can sustain a space in pop culture and really make stuff that will have a genuine impact."

She already counts one like-minded pop star as a fan: Marilyn Manson. "She knows exactly what she's doing," he says. "She's very smart, she's not selling out, she's a great musician, she's a great singer, and she's laughing when she's doing it, the same way that I am."

No comments: