Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rosie O'Donnell Heads Back to the Air – on Radio

Heading back to the air in a brand new setting, Rosie O'Donnell will be heard and not seen. The familiar TV face is launching her own daily, two-hour show for Sirius XM Radio this fall, to be called – what else? – Rosie Radio.

O'Donnell says that the deal came through after she yakked on Howard Stern's Sirius XM show earlier this year.

"He's been very encouraging," O'Donnell, 47, said about the shock jock, the Associated Press reports. "After I did his show, they called and asked if I was interested. I don't really listen to radio, so I started thinking about it and listening. I asked if they could possibly do it at my house because that would really make it convenient for me with four kids, and they said yes, so I was like, 'Wow. Let's try that.' "

Essentially off the air as far as a regular gig was concerned after her headline-making departure from ABC's The View in 2007, O'Donnell will host her new show from a recording facility currently under construction inside the guesthouse on the New York property she shares with partner Kelli Carpenter and their four children.

A Call-In Show

"I think it'll be good for me," O'Donnell says of the new venture. "I've been lucky. I've had seven years of early retirement. All my kids are in school now, so all day long I have nothing to do. This was the first year that they were all in school all day, and I found myself very bored. I was saying to Kelli, we either need to get another kid or I'll have to go back to work."

Once it starts up in the fall, Rosie Radio will air Mondays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. ET (7 a.m. to 9:00 a.m, PT) on SIRIUS XM Stars, SIRIUS channel 102 and XM channel 155.

Sirius is already home to Oprah Radio, Martha Stewart Living Radio and O'Donnell's former View mentor and tormentor, Barbara Walters. And, yes, Rosie will take phonecalls.

No comments: