Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Alec Baldwin: 'Retirement Comments Were Misconstrued'

Alec Baldwin is angry at reports he's set to quit Hollywood for good in 2012, insisting his comments in a recent magazine interview have been misconstrued.

The 51 year old reportedly planned to walk away from the spotlight when his contract on hit TV comedy 30 Rock expires in three years' time after lamenting to Men's Health magazine that he considers himself a "failure".

He was quoted as saying, "I don't have any interest in acting anymore. Movies are part of my past. It's been 30 years. I'm not young, but I have time to do something else.

"It's a difficult thing to say, but I believe it: I consider my entire movie career a complete failure. I'll tell you why. The goal of moviemaking is to star in a film where your performance drives the film, and the film is either a soaring critical or commercial success, and I never had that."

But Baldwin insists he has no intention of moving away from showbusiness altogether.

He tells USA Today, "It's ridiculous. What I wanted to say is I wanted to do other things."

And his It's Complicated co-star Meryl Streep is adamant Baldwin will be around for a long time to come.

She adds, "He's not quitting acting. He was just telling me what he is doing next. I can't tell you what it is. I'm just saying, he's not quitting."

No comments: