Thursday, March 26, 2009

Luhrmann Eyes Knowles/Jackman Movie Musical

Filmmaker Baz Luhrmann is desperate to team Beyonce Knowles and Hugh Jackman for a new movie musical after directing the stars for a medley of showtunes at the Oscars.

Knowles and Jackman whizzed through renditions of Lady Marmalade, All That Jazz and Somewhere Over The Rainbow in a performance medley last month helmed by the Moulin Rouge! filmmaker.

The singer has already enjoyed crossover success with her roles as Etta James in 2008 biopic Cadillac Records and 2006 movie musical Dreamgirls.

And Luhrmann insists Knowles is destined to follow in the footsteps of Hollywood's greatest leading ladies.

He tells Vogue magazine of his hopes to re-team the pair, saying: "One can only pray. My mind is racing already... I'm sure that there is a dramatic cinematic life for her. It's been a long time since we've seen that kind of performer, like Barbra Streisand and Diana Ross, on the screen."

Jackman admits he'd be up for the challenge: "Just watching how she processes everything, she's so fast... I just found myself going, 'Oh, my God, I want to do movies with this girl. I want to do a movie musical!'"

The X-Men actor insists Knowles has the star quality to make it big in Hollywood too: "I have no doubt she'll win an Oscar one day. I can see the ambition in her to want to do that, to be in movies and really knock something out of the park. She's got it. Whatever it is, she's got it."

No comments: