Monday, April 19, 2010

Andrew Garcia’s Post-Idol Plans: Wedding Proposal

Andrew Garcia will forever be known as the guy who reinvented Paula Abdul’s hit “Straight Up,” turning it into an updated acoustic version fit for a funky guy in glasses. Sadly, the 24-year-old dad from Moreno Valley, California, never got past that song, according to the judges, who constantly compared his performances to that shining moment. On Wednesday, he and Katie Stevens were sent home — but will be on the American Idols Live Tour this summer.

People Magazine spoke with Garcia about “Straight Up,” his bromance with frontrunner Lee DeWyze and what’s next.

What made you decide to sing “Straight Up”?
I was looking at the list and I saw “Straight Up” and I thought, “Paula is not on the show anymore so I can put my twist on this and see what happens,” and it took off.

What were your favorite performances from the competition?
“Chasing Pavements” by Adele and Chris Brown’s “Forever” because it was me acoustic and I love just taking pop songs and putting my twist on it.

It’s not secret you had a bromance with Lee. How did that come about?
We jam a lot. We don’t really have a song. We are planning to write together on tour. Our common interest is we’d find ourselves doing the same thing at the same time. It was weird almost. That’s my brother for life. We are like each other’s family and we cover each other when we’re having a rough time, so he always knows he can call me. I will for sure go to the shows and cheer him on.

What was life like before American Idol?
My life before I got on Idol was taking care of my son. I’m a stay-home dad and on the weekends I’d go play acoustic shows for like $400 bucks a gig and that was my income. But Idol was way bigger so I had to try it out.

It’s a bummer you were kicked off but are you happy with the way you did on the show?
I didn’t expect to go far and to have gone this far was amazing. I’m so grateful I even got this far. I don’t feel like I let my fans down at all. They are amazing.

What’s next for you?
I see me making an album and getting ready for the tour. Going forward as an artist, I [will keep] taking songs and putting my original twist on it. I love to make things acoustic.

What about you and the mother of your son?
I’m still going to propose to her, but I don’t know when. I am for sure going to marry her.

No comments: