Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rupert Everett Continues to be Bitter, Party of 1

Born with handsome looks and great talent, Rupert Everett seems determined to blame everyone but himself that he is not the biggest star on the planet.

The man who we first fell in love with in Another Country and who became an even bigger star opposite Julia Roberts in My Best Friend’s Wedding and also starred in An Ideal Husband and The Next Best Thing, continues to complain about the discrimination he says he faces in the film industry.

He compares his acting abilities to those of Colin Firth and Hugh Grant, and complains to the UK’s BBC’s Radio 4 that producers would say they couldn’t find a role that fit him. He says that is because he has been openly gay for most of his career.

“I never got a job there, and I never got a job here, after [coming out],” he said. “I did a couple of films, I was very lucky at the beginning of my career… and then, I never had another job here for ten years, probably, and I moved to Europe.”

“The audience has a completely perception of the performers than the business,” he adds. “But the business is what makes the stars, really. There are lots of women and lots of men in the business that the powers that be decide are the right people and they’ll stand with them for quite a long time. … Like Jennifer Aniston will just have one too many total flops. But she’s still a member of that club. And she will still manage to — like a star forming in the universe — a whole lot of things swirling around and suddenly solidifying into yet another vital tasteless romcom: a little glitter next to the Crab Nebula.”

He also disses Oscar front-runner Firth, star of The King’s Speech, for performance in the 2008 smash Mamma Mia! “Colin Firth I don’t think was at all good in Mamma Mia!.

You know, I would have thought it was almost a careericide. … On the other hand, I think (Firth’s) performance in A Single Man was the best performance of his life.”

Rupert does not have a problem with gay actors staying in the closet if they want to: “There are many of them, and I don’t blame them, it’s very sensible. If I hadn’t been someone who liked and if I hadn’t been a kind of sex maniac and all those kind of things and wanted to go to raves and circuit parties, I don’t think there’s anything to wrong with it. It would have been too complicated for me to tell the lie.”

Okay, I have no doubt that Everett has been discriminated against and could have and should have been a bigger star after 1997′s My Best Friend’s Wedding. But he does need to get on with it as so many other talented out stars like John Barrowman, Ian McKellen, Neil Patrick Harris, TR Knight, Luke Macfarlane and others have.

No comments: